The Animal Kingdom is a really fun park that you don’t want to miss. It has animals, but it is nothing like the zoo you would find in your home town. It is also one of the best parks to meet characters.
Tips about early morning at the Animal Kingdom
- The park opens at 9 am but it closes before the other parks. So make sure that you check your times guide. Because of the early closure the park isn’t terribly busy in the afternoon.
- Don’t follow the masses. It’s common human nature to go with the crowds. Take a moment to look at all your options. A lot of time people will all be headed to one turnstile and there will be a long line, while there are 3 open turnstiles on your left hand side that people aren’t using. So keep your eyes open. If you can go left, go left! (Everyone else will be going right).
- Security will check your bags. To make this process faster, open all compartments before you reach the security guard. They will appreciate it.
- When you are going through security, there are always 2 lines. One on the left side of the table and one on the right. The security guards are trained to take a guest from the left and then take a guest from the right. Again, the masses will all be lining up in one line, since you know this tip go ahead and go to the opposite side. He won’t look at you like you’ve grown 2 heads. I promise!
- Did you know that there is a secret entrance to the Animal Kingdom? If you go through the Rain Forest Cafe’s gift shop and out the doors at the back, there is a fun garden type area with oversized vegetation. There is also a working turnstyle with a CM that you can use to get into the park! A lot of people don’t know about this and thus it isn’t very busy.
- There is a welcome show at the Animal Kingdom. Minnie, Pluto and Goofy will soon arrive to welcome you to the park.
- Characters are often found just outside the entrance to Animal Kingdom. They are more likely to be there in the morning, but I have seen them in the afternoon too. These are usually animal or bug characters such as Rakiki, Terk and more.
- At the end of the day, Donald, Goofy, Mickey and Minnie will be at the exit to the park to wave goodbye and thank you for coming.
The Oasis is the Animal Kingdom equivalent of Main Street. It is usually open 30 – 60 minutes after the rest of the park closes.
There are quite a few trials through the Oasis. Usually the ones on the far left and right side are faster. And because most people go to their right, I would take the left path.
Discovery Island is home to the amazing Tree of Life. There are 4 different trails that go through this area. Some take you right up to the tree!
Make sure you pick up a map of the park. You will notice 4 black paw prints. These are used to mark the Discovery Island trails.
While you explore the trails, look for hidden rocks. You will see some holes in the rocks. Be sure to look in them!
There is a character greeting spot on Discovery Island. It is located right by the bridge to DinoLand. Be sure to stop by to meet some of your favorites including Winnie the Pooh!
– Located inside the Tree of Life
– This is a FASTPASS attraction.
– Good place to go on a hot summer day.
– Might scare little kids. (We have not and do not plan to do this one yet)
Disney World is the Most Magical Place On Earth. Be sure to learn how to make the most of your trip by reading the Disney World Training series. You can also browse all the articles I have written in an easy to use outline. And if you are ready to book your trip, be sure to read about the perks of using an authorized Disney vacation planner (plus it’s FREE!).