I think everyone has heard of these- the frozen products that supposedly taste just like Chick-fil-a. The Member’s Mark Chicken Nuggets, Chicken Filets and Waffle Fries have gone viral- so viral that my Sam’s Club ran out of the filets already! The stocker was telling me more were on the way, they can’t keep them in the freezer right now.
It’s Chicken Hunger Games out here, y’all.
Luckily, they had the waffle fries and nuggets, so I grabbed a bag of each. I’ll be back for you, sandwich filets.
Prices in my store:
Chicken Nuggets (3lb bag): $9.98
Waffle Fries (4lb bag): $4.98
Our typical order at Chick-fil-a (family of 3): $17.17
WOW. So right out of the gate I’m feeling pretty good about this faux-Chick-fil-a stuff. How does it taste though? Because I can get some great chicken nuggets at Aldi on a regular basis, but they sure don’t taste like Chick-fil-a.
There were no oil fryer instructions on either bag, which surprised me. Still, I’m a rebel and gave it a shot anyway.
- Fryer: There was no oil fryer option, which we discovered after my husband had poured oil in there. Might as well use it anyway, am I right? We heated the oil to 360 degrees and then filled the basket about half full. The fries cooked really quickly and they were cripsy and delicious. Not too Chick-fil-a-y, but oh my, tasty. Spoiler Alert: This was our favorite way to cook the fries.
- Conventional Oven: Cooked in the oven, you achieve that softer, floppier fry that I expect. It passes muster and is very close to the “real thing”.
- Fryer: You see the one super dark nugget in the picture above? That’s my fry-baby. He looks burnt, but I assure you I was johnny-on-the-spot with checking it, and the moment it was ready, I pulled it. Despite the look, it was crunchy and delicious. It didn’t taste like Chick-fil-a due to the hard fry, but yum!
- Microwave: Do not recommend. It tastes just like you’d think it would…like you nuked a previously frozen chicken nugget. If you are in an incredible time crunch, this may be a viable option, but otherwise I’d just pass on this method.
- Air Fryer: Now, these pass the eye test 100%. When you pick them up, they feel just like you expect- a softer breading. Biting into the nugget, it tastes just like taking a big bite of a Chick-fil-a sandwich- a bite with a pickle slice. Mmmmm.Mr. Drum’s first words? “They taste darn close.” After a few more bites he says what I had been thinking- “It’s almost too much pickle flavor.” We both love pickles, don’t get me wrong, but it is a little strong- stronger than the taste you get at your local restaurant, for sure. I’m not saying it’s bad, but it’s a giveaway that this is a copycat product.
Miss Bongo’s opinion? “They taste bad, they taste different”. She proceeds to eat four of the five nuggets on her plate without another complaint. Kids. Let’s strike her opinion from the record.
Overall, I did find some of these nuggets to be fattier than their store-made counterparts. Cooked in the air fryer is definitely the way to go with and for the price point, the nuggets are close enough to satisfying your Sunday Chick-fil-a craving. Seriously, does anyone else always want Chick-fil-a, then realize it’s SUNDAY and they are all closed? Doh!
Brandy has also grabbed a bag of these nuggets, so let’s take a look at what she thinks- she was not privy to my tasting results and we haven’t talked about it.
Brandy’s opinion on the nuggets: I baked mine in the oven following the directions on the package to a T. In all honesty these aren’t Chick-Fil-A…but they are really close! My biggest complaint was the pickle taste. I am not a dill pickle fan. With that being said it wasn’t bad, I really enjoyed them. If they would take away the dill pickle taste these would be spot on Chick-Fil-A!
If you want to try to make your own Chick-fil-a Sauce (it’s super easy and you probably have everything on hand already), check the recipe out here!
This is a fantastic way to get that “we’re eating out” feel but save some serious money. We’ll easily get a ton more meals out of these bags of food and from the start it was cheaper than going to our store. It’s darn close to the real thing, so thanks Member’s Mark- I’ll definitely buy them again.