When my husband and I were dating, he took me home to meet his parents and his mother made poppy seed chicken casserole. After one bite, I knew I had to get the recipe. I was hooked. I’m sure you will be too!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ c. Cream of Chicken Soup dry mix (Find the recipe here)
- 1¼ c. water
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1½ sleeves of Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 - 1½ tbs poppy seeds (This is optional. It doesn't change the taste of the dish without it.)
- 2 c. white rice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook rice according to directions on package.
- Boil chicken until no longer pink in the center, then shred.
- Mix water and dry soup mix together and put over medium heat until it thickens to the consistency of canned cream soup.
- Mix thickened cream of chicken, sour cream, chicken and poppy seeds together. (Again, the poppy seeds are optional as they do not change the taste)
- Pour into the bottom of a casserole dish and smooth out.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers on top and top with melted butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve alone or over white rice (this is how I usually serve it).
See more recipes from Kristin’s Kitchen.