I LOVE this for the holiday season! I have seen these premade for over $40, but the nice thing about it is I had all of the supplies for this at home already. This cost me $1 to make ($1 for flower at the dollar store).
1 plywood board (mine was about 2 feet long) for the “face”
2 pieces of wood (mine were about 12” long) for the brim of the hat
Multiple colors of paint in your choice of colors
Decorative accents for the hat (optional)
- Mark off a line on both sides of the board where you want your hat to start (mine was about 1/3 down from the top of the board). I made mine on an angle but you can certainly make it straight across. Make sure to continue this line on both sides of the board so you have a mirror image on the front and back.
- Paint the scarecrow face (I used light brown) and hat (I used dark brown). Let dry.
- Paint the snowman face (I used white) and hat (I used black). Also extend this color around the sides of the piece of wood. Make sure the paint lines on the side match up with the front of the face. Let dry.
- While waiting for the “face” to dry, paint one entire piece of the 12” wood pieces black. The other 12” piece should be painted black on one side and brown the rest of the way around and on the ends.
- Once the base color is dry, add the face on to the snowman and scarecrow. This is where you can get creative! I added a candy core for my scarecrow’s nose, but you can certainly add whatever facial features you would like.
- Once it is completely dry add on your decorative elements. I added a flower to my scarecrow’s hat and a red scarf to the bottom of my snowman (not pictured as I will add this on when I flip my snowman over for Christmas season).
Shanna is a mother of two (Chloe 6 and Shopie 2) and works as a Sports Concussion Specialist/Athletic Trainer at a local sports medicine clinic. In her spare time, she loves to do portrait photography, scrapbook/crafts, camp, watch sports and spend time for family. She is actively saving for a Disney trip and is OBSESSED with saving to go within the next year or two.