The original recipe for Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli called for Flank Steak but I could not find it anywhere. I substituted it with Flat Iron Steak which turned out to be very good, if I do say so myself. Plus it’s a cheaper cut of meat which makes this recipe even more affordable.
- 1.5 pounds Flat Iron Steak, thinly sliced and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup beef broth (I always make mine from bullion cubes to save money)
- ⅔ cup soy sauce
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I always buy the jars in the produce section to save time)
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 4 tablespoons cold water
- Place the steak, soy sauce, beef broth, sesame oil, brown sugar and garlic in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- minutes before serving, whisk together the corn starch and water until dissolved. Add to the slow cooker and stir. Cover and cook for an additional 25 minutes.
- Cook the broccoli florets in a microwave safe plastic container by placing the florets plus just enough water to cover the bottom of the container. Place the lid on top but off set it to allow it to vent. Cook on high for 3 minutes. Drain and stir into the slow cooker.
- Serve over rice.
Recipe adapted from Creme de la Crumb.
You might also enjoy the Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Cream Sauce.
Using a slow cooker for dinner recipes not only makes cooking easier, but it also saves money on your power bill by not using the oven. Check out these Best Slow Cooker Recipes.