While trying to build my slow cooker whole chicken recipes, I came across this chicken with lemon and turmeric. It sounded interesting so I thought I would try it. It was really good! I know I’ve said this before, but I just can’t stress enough how cooking a whole chicken in my slow cooker has now become my favorite way to make it. If you’re looking for a new recipe that isn’t like everything else, try this one!
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 whole lemon
- One 3½ pound broiler/ fryer chicken, rinsed and patted dry inside and out
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ c. chopped cilantro
- 1 lb. carrots, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- Mix the cumin, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt together in a small bowl. Add the juice from one whole lemon (don't throw away the rind!) and mix well.
- Rub the spice mixture generously all over the inside and outside of the chicken. Stuff the inside with half of the onions, half of the garlic, half of the cilantro and the reserved lemon rind.
- Place the remaining onions, garlic and cilantro in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper and crushed tomatoes. Season with salt to taste.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or on high for approximately 3½ to 4 hours, or until the meat pulls easily away from the bones.
Check out one of my favorite Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes: Chicken Tacos!
Using a Slow Cooker not only makes preparing dinner easier, it also saves on your power bill because you don’t have to run the oven and heat up the whole house. Check out all the Slow Cooker Chicken recipes we have tried and be sure to share your favorites too!(Thanks Clean Cuisine!)