The name of the game for new content is FRIDAY.
Every Friday in June, the kind people over at Disney+ are releasing new original content and exclusive movies and tv shows. If your idea of the perfect summer vacation is bingeing your favorite Disney media, then you are my kind of people. Here are the new, newly arriving, and overlooked delights that I am most pumped to stream in June.
*Available June 12th
Talk about headline making news! This long awaited film adaptation of the wildly popular book series was supposed to premiere in the theaters. But with the closure of all movie theaters due to shelter in place orders around the country, it looked like fans of the fairy-napping genius would have to wait even longer…But then Disney+ to the rescue! Now we only have to wait a few more weeks.
Disney Family Singalong Volumes 1 and 2
Who would have known America would go crazy for celebrities singing Disney classics from their homes? The first Disney Family Singalong was a ratings hit for ABC and was quickly moved to streaming over on Hulu and Disney +. And before you could say “step in time” a second volume was ready to go, with even more celebrities and even more beloved songs! The Disney Family Singalong Volume 2 is now available for your streaming pleasure on Hulu and Disney+.
Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Lightning Thief
*Available June 26th
Did your fmaily love Artemis Fowl on June 12th? Why not check out the first Percy Jackson film on the 26th? Adapted from a successful series of novels? Check. Teen boy involved in magical hijinks? Check. What else do you need? Head over to Camp Half Blood with Percy and the other offspring of the Greek gods as they attempt to foil a plot to unleash the underworld.
The Pirate Fairy
*Available June 19th
The fourth in the Tinkerbell film series, this outing introduces us to Zarina, a dust keeping fairy who leaves Pixie Hollow and runs into some early versions of well known Neverland favorites. This is my favorite of the Tinkerbell movies because it pretty much feels like one big Easter egg for Peter Pan fans. I mean, there is also a sweet story about being true to who you are and letting the world see your talents, but I really love how this film feels like the bridge between the Tinkerbell series and the classic world of Peter Pan.
Alice in Wonderland
I’m surprised it took me this long. This month the spot for “Animated Gem that we all Forgot about Because We Were Too Busy being Mermaids and Singing with Teapots” goes to one of my favorite animated Disney films: 1951’s Alice in Wonderland. This is a lovely film, from the Golden Afternoon sequence to the Walrus and the Carpenter to the March of the Cards. The music and animation is top notch. The story is a little sparse, but plot moves quickly and the villain is a lot of fun (“Off with their heads!”). Get ready to have “Jolly Caucus Race” stuck in your head forever.
Arguably the most exciting of the original content Disney+ promised was coming back before they launched, The Mandalorian is a bonafide hit and pop culture juggernaut. Admit you, you have like five Yoda Baby knick knacks already, right? Season 2 is coming, but you know who was behind the curve on Season 1? ME! I just started watching (and recapping!) so you should definitely watch, or re-watch, with me. I have spoken.
I love having all my Disney and Pixar shorts in one convenient place. BURN-E is a minor character from the film WALL-E, a repair bot whose story interweaves with WALL-E and Eve’s. This 7 minute short shows his side of the story once WALL-E and Eve board the Axiom. Getting to see classic WALL-E scenes through the eyes of a secondary character is a lot of fun. I wish all the WALL-E robots had their own shorts!
Schoolhouse Rock Season 1
*Available June 19th
True story, sometimes I still find myself singing “Lolly, lolly, lolly get your adverbs here” for no reason. I’ll be making dinner and suddenly it’s, “an adverb is a word! That’s all it is, and there’s a lot of them, that modifies a verb, sometimes a verb, sometimes…” and then I’ve sung the whole thing. This happens enough that now I’m pretty sure my 6 year old understands adverbs. Introduce your kids to this classic educational series this summer.
Captain America: The Winter Solider
If I have a favorite Avenger, it might be Captain America. And if I have a favorite Captain America movie, it might be Winter Solider. Everything about this MCU flick works for me: the action, the intrigue, the friendships, the introduction of Falcon. It tells a complete, solo story while also being an integral part of the world building of the MCU. I love it, thanks. If you’re looking for more MCU streaming, check out that guide here.
Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2
*Available June 26th
A six episode look at the creative team’s return to Arendelle, this docu-series promises to scratch the itch left by Journey Into Imagineering and Waking Sleeping Beauty. With the clock ticking and less than a year until the world premiere of Frozen II, the filmmakers, artists, songwriters and cast open their doors to cameras for a six-part documentary series to reveal the hard work, heart, and collaboration it takes to create one of the most highly-anticipated films in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ near-century of moviemaking.
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Did you know that after twelve years, TWELVE YEARS, of being in development, a third National Treasure movie is coming? It was announced in January 2020 that the movie would be moving forward with the original cast and producers. Since it looks like me may have to wait a little longer (but really, we’ve waiting twelve years, so what’s another year?), catch up with the first National Treasure (available as of April) and this sequel!
And just so you have it, here’s a list of all the new content added to Disney+ in June!
Friday, June 5
- Alaska’s Grizzly Gauntlet (Season 1)
- America’s Greatest Animals
- Chasing the Equinox
- Howie Mandel’s Animals Doing Things (Seasons 1–2)
- Secrets of Wild India (Season 1)
- The Greeks (Season 1)
- Weird but True! (Seasons 1–2)
- Wild Hawaii (Season 1)
- Women of Impact: Changing the World
- Be Our Chef (Episode 111—“The Spectacular”) (Season Finale)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Episode 106—“Visualization”)
- Disney Family Sundays (Episode 131—“101 Dalmatians: Onesie”)
- One Day at Disney (Episode 127—“George Montano: Plasterer”)
- It’s A Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer (Episode 104—“Disaster Rescue Dogs & A Dog Mayor”)
- Disney Insider (Episode 106: “Artemis Adventure, Taste of Disney, Runaway Railway”)
Friday, June 12
- Mighty Med (Seasons 1–2)
- The Liberty Story
- The Story of the Animated Drawing
- Walt & El Grupo
- Artemis Fowl (Premiere)
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Episode 107—“Score”)
- Disney Family Sundays (Episode 132—“Winnie the Pooh: Bag Toss”)
- One Day at Disney (Episode 128—“Scot Drake: Imagineering Creative”)
- It’s A Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer (Episode 105—“The Surfing Corgi & Bee Dogs”)
Friday, June 19
- 101 Dalmatians (1997) (Season 1)
- Big Sur: Wild California
- Muppet Babies Play Date (Season 1)
- Schoolhouse Rock (Season 1)
- Tinker Bell and the Pirate Fairy
- Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian (Episode 108—“Connections”) (Finale)
- Disney Family Sundays (Episode 133—“Monsters, Inc. Water Bottles”)
- One Day at Disney (Episode 129—“Candice Valdez: Radio Disney Host”)
- It’s A Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer (Episode 106—“Stunt Dogs & Water Rescue Dogs”)
Friday, June 26
- Man in Space
- Mars and Beyond
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
- Raven’s Home (Season 3)
- Tarzan II
- Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2 (Series Premiere)
- Disney Family Sundays (Episode 134—“Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs”)
- One Day at Disney (Episode 130—“Marc Smith: Story Artist”)
- It’s A Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer (Episode 107—“Detective Dogs & Truffle Hunting Dogs”)
What are you dying to watch? What are you anxious to hit Disney+ in July? What should I watch? Share your thoughts down below!
Kristen B. is wife to the best Prince around, mama to the spunkiest little princesses, and lover of all things Disney. She started her savings journey five years ago and is now dedicated to making her family’s wishes come true one coupon at a time. She is so excited to take her love of saving to the next level and share her journey with you! Click here to catch up on Kristen’s Savings and join in on your own savings adventure!