Do you need a MagicBand when you head to Disney World? While they are a fun feature, they are not necessary to enjoy your Disney World vacation. If you are on the fence about MagicBands, these 5 reasons not to buy a MagicBand may have you convinced to go without.
First, what is a MagicBand? These colorful (and waterproof) wristbands, resembling a watch, allowing for quick access to a touch point (such as entering the parks).
5 Reasons Not To Buy a MagicBand:
1. MagicBands are no longer free. Complimentary MagicBands have ended for Disney Resort guests. New reservations for arrivals at Disney World resorts starting January 1, 2021 and beyond will no longer receive complimentary MagicBands. The solid color MagicBands that were preciously complimentary are now $5.00 each for Disney Resort guests.
2. New digital offerings are on the horizon. When Disney World announced the end of the complimentary MagicBand program, they also confirmed something else. Coming in 2021 Disney World is looking to unveil even more all-new offerings (similar to a MagicBand) on the My Disney Experience app (free to download).
3. You can still reuse an old MagicBand. Instead of buying one for your next trip, consider reusing an old one if you have previously visited Disney World. The RF chip inside the MagicBand typically lasts 2 years.
4. Unlock your Resort room door with your phone. This feature rolled out in 2018 and allows guests to unlock your Resort room door with your mobile device, by using Bluetooth technology. Simply download the My Disney Experience App to take advantage of this feature.
5. Alternatively, guests can request a Key to the World Card. Upon check-in, simply ask for your Key to the World Card. These cards have similar features of a MagicBand, however instead of a bracelet these are plastic cards (similar to size and feel of a driver’s license).
Learn more tips and tricks for your next Walt Disney World vacation. Destinations in Florida can also help you add tips and tricks to your next vacation.