My friend Tammy loves to cook. One night, while she was visiting she made this chicken tortilla soup and it was so yummy. I just had to share it with you guys.
- 6 c. of chicken broth (I like Better than Bouillon)
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 Cans of Mexican Style tomatoes
- 2 Cans of Regular Tomatoes
- 1 Can of whole kernel corn
- 1 tbsp diced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp of ground red pepper
- 2 or 3 whole chicken breasts
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tbsp cilantro (use the kind from the tube found in the produce department)
- 1 Lime- juiced (about ¼ cup of juice)
- 1 bag of shredded Colby/jack cheese
- Your favorite corn chips or brown corn tortillas
- Add chicken breasts to 6 cups of broth. Stew until done and tender. Then remove from broth and let cook enough to handle.
- Add all ingredients to the broth except the tortilla chips, Cilantro, Lime Juice and cheese.
- Cook slowly for approx. 20 minutes.
- When the chicken has cool enough to handle, shred the meat (long pulled pieces of chicken). Put the chicken into the broth mixture.
- After it’s cooking slowly (it should be smelling very good by now), check for taste. You may want to add salt or pepper, hot stuff, etc.
- When you think it’s done, add the cilantro and lime juice. Stir it.
- To serve: crush chips, add soup and garnish with cheese and jalapenos if you wish.
See more recipes from Kristin’s Kitchen.