Traveling by plane is an adventure for children, since its usually an occurrence that does not happen often! As a mom, the thrill of traveling by plane can be overshadowed by remembering everything we need to pack. Today, I have a list of 7 must-haves when traveling with children by airplane for a smooth flight.
1. A small travel blanket is a good idea for kids (and big kids too). I am always freezing on flights, however there is a reasonable explanation if you are as well. The reason planes are kept cooler is actually to prevent passengers from fainting! When your body tissue doesn’t get enough oxygen, called hypoxia is heightened while flying. However, research has shown that keeping temps cooler on flights helps prevent this medical condition. Therefore, if your child gets cold easily pack a blanket.
2. You never know with little ones, therefore a small first aid kit is handy to have. Basic items such as a band-aid can mean the difference between a boo-boo feeling better or not.
3. If your little one is prone to accidents, pack a change of clothes in your carry-on. That way they can be dry and comfortable if it does happen. Also good to have if your little one is a messy eater, or has a spill. You just never know!
4. Download new apps for the phone or tablet. If your children will be brining an electronic along to pass the time of the flight, consider downloading new apps to entertain. Starting a new game or learning activity will keep them engaged and the time will go by faster.
5. Another handy item for electronics to pack are headphones! The passengers around you will thank you and you will get a few moments of peace and quiet. My favorite place to shop kids headphones is 5 Below, where they sell character themed and more headphones just $5 each.
6. To avoid the dreaded ear-popping at take-off and landing, pack gum. If your little one is too young to chew gum, try a lollipop or something to drink during take-off and landing. The act of chewing and swallowing can alter the pressure in your throat and avoid the ear popping.
7. Head to the Dollar Tree for small toys and busy books. Of course you could pack their own small toys and coloring books, however the joy of getting something new and then using something new out weighs this option. Everything at the Dollar Tree is just $1.00 and they always have a fun assortment of activity books, stickers, markers and more.
Learn more about planning your Walt Disney World vacation. Plus overwhelmed with all the planning? Destinations in Florida can help you plan your perfect trip.