Guests on a Disney Cruise will find a metal fish outside their stateroom door. These have become popular hooks for groups known as Fish Extender Groups (FE). Fish Extender Groups are completely optional. Guests can research FE groups to join for your specific cruise date on Disboards and Facebook. Now, let’s get into 6 reasons to join a Fish Extender group and 5 reasons not to.
6 Reasons To Join A FE Group:
- Getting surprises is fun. Much like checking the mail (except without the bills), each time you return to your room check for a FE surprise. This makes returning to your room thrilling.
- Save on Souvenirs. Knowing you should get X amount of gifts can deter your children and yourself from spending money on souvenirs. Instead of buying souvenirs, enjoy surprises throughout your Cruise with an FE group.
- If you love gift-giving. If you simply love gift-giving and spreading the magic, join an FE group.
- If you are crafty. For the crafty person, joining an FE group is a fun way to get your creative juices flowing and get a surprise in return for your hard work!
- Customizable. There are different FE groups to find and join (and you are not limited to just one). For instance, there are Ornament only FE groups, children only FE groups and more.
- Come home with unique items. Some gifts will have been purchased from a Dollar store. However others will be homemade or cultural and guests will come home with a truly unique set of souvenirs. Some guests really take their time creating magical gifts!
5 Reasons Not To Join A FE Group:
- Short Cruise. For guests taking a short Disney Cruise (such as 3-4 days) may want to skip. Consider the time you will spend delivering all the items. This commitment will take some time away from on-board activities.
- Planning time and money. If you are short on time or money to spend on creating something you would like to receive, it may not be for you. If you are pressed on additional time or money, the FE is one more thing to worry about. Some groups do set an amount needed to spend, another thing to keep in mind.
- Some may back out or underwhelm. It does happen that you join a FE group and not everything lives up to their word. Life does happen and give people the benefit of the doubt if this happens. You may end up going into this and not getting back what you put in.
- You will get homemade items and small trinkets. If you go in hoping for top-notch Disney merchandise you may be disappointed. Homemade items and small trinkets are fun as long as you go in knowing what to expect. Items you can expect to receive include stickers, candy, glow bracelets, luggage tags and more.
- More items and Luggage Space. Do your kids really need more small trinkets? Often, it is the thrill of the surprise that is half the fun. However, do consider the luggage space an FE group will take up and where the items will end up once you get home.
The majority of guests who have done them in the past have not regretted it! Here is a recommended Hanging Organizer if you decide to go for it.