Dumbo the Flying Elephant at Walt Disney World is one of the most classic Disney attractions. It has been re-imagined in it’s new home in Storybook Circus and now features 2 sets of rotating Dumbos, one flies clockwise and the other flies counter-clockwise. Plus you no longer need to rush to Dumbo as it now features both Fastpass and an interactive queue for the kids to entertain the kids until it’s your time to fly. Disney did a great job making this attraction guest friendly!
Length of Ride: 1:30
Height Requirement: None but children must sit on the inside of the ride.
Scare Factor: If your child is afraid of heights, take that into consideration.
Rider Swap: No
Weather Procedure: It is an outdoor ride, so it could be closed in bad weather.
Ride Photo: None
Flash Photography: It is outdoors so flash away!
Queue: Dumbo now has the best queue of any ride at Walt Disney World. When you enter the queue, you are given a pager that will beep when it is your party’s turn to line up to ride Dumbo. In the meantime, your children can run and play on the indoor playground and parents can sit down in the air conditioner for a much needed break. If the kids aren’t done playing when the pager beeps, let the Cast Member know and they will usually let you keep playing or issue you a new pager.
Extra Magic Hours: Open in the morning and the evening.
Fastpass: Yes and also will be part of Fastpass +
When to Ride: Within the first hour the park opens or anytime during the day using either Fastpass or even enter the regular queue (only if it is 30 minutes or less) and let your kids play on the indoor playground.
Our Touring Strategy: We usually wait to ride this one in the early afternoon and just enter into the regular queue. My kids love to play on the indoor playground and we love to sit down for a bit in the air conditioning.
Secrets/Tips and Tricks:
- As you enter and exit the ride, look for the FAKE peanuts in the walk path.
- While your kids are playing, try to spot one of the plugs located near the bleachers. If you have your cellphone charger, you can charge your phone while they play. (Thanks Jennifer!)
- When you are getting ready for your flight, let your children pick which colored elephant they want. When the gates open, it is a free for all and you can grab whatever color you desire. They only allow as many parties into the gate as they have elephants, so don’t worry! You will get an elephant even if you have to walk all the way around to the other side to get one.
- There is a lever on the inside of the elephant. Lift up to take your elephant up or push down to take your elephant down. Keep in mind that the ride starts and ends by raising the elephants to their fullest height so if you are scared of heights, you’ve been warned!
- Look for Timothy Mouse on the ride.
- You will have a completely different magic experience on this ride if you ride it at night. It is breathtaking!
- There are 2 different Dumbo carousels. One goes clockwise and one goes counter clockwise (the traditional flight of Dumbo at the Magic Kingdom).
After you ride, be sure to look between the 2 spinning dumbo’s is a stationary dumbo that your kids can climb into for a photo.
Don’t miss the secrets and tips for Peter Pan’s Flight at Walt Disney World.