Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in Magic Kingdom whisks guests on a runaway mine train through a haunted gold-mining town Tumbleweed. Legend has it that a supernatural force dwells in the mountain that causes ghostly sounds, cave-ins, mechanic failures and runaway mine trains. A flood, likely caused by the supernatural force, has ruined any chance of uncovering the remaining gold. Before the residents find drier land, they have one last party at the saloon to celebrate their riches.
If you can, ride this attraction both during the day and at night for completely different experiences.
Length of Ride: 3:25
Height Requirement: 40 inches
Scare Factor: There are some sudden dips and twists.
Rider Switch (for small kids): Yes
Weather Procedure: Closed in inclement weather
Ride Photo: No
Flash Photography: Yes
Queue: Tour through the mining operations of Big Thunder Mountain. You’ll go through the office, the explosives room, the foreman’s room, the ventilation room and more.
Extra Magic Hours: Only for Evening Magic Hours.
When to Ride: Early in the morning or use Fastpass
Our Touring Strategy: We ride either early in the morning or use Fastpass.
Secrets/Tips and Tricks:
- The ride will split into 2 lines. Always choose the line with the shortest wait. Don’t just follow the crowds!
- Ride in the front of the train if you don’t want to be jerked too much. Sit in the back if you want a wild ride.
- The train reaches speeds of 30 mph and has 3 dips.
- Each seat can seat 2 adults or an adult and a child.
- Children must be 7 or older to ride in a separate car from their parents (or someone who is 14 years or older can ride with them).
- Ride at night for a different experience.
- See if you can spot a possum in the tree, a billy goat atop a peak and bats, chickens and donkeys throughout the ride.
- Look for the crate at the exit that says “Lytum & Hide Explosives”
- Look for Tinker Bell in a rock near the exit. It is between 2 metal carts and behind a cactus.
- Look on the second floor of the saloon for a party.
- There are some geysers to the left of the exit that offer a great photo opp.
- Look for the dinosaur bones on the side of the cave wall
- Look for the goat on top of a cliff
- Look for the bobcat on top of a cactus
Check out the secrets for Enchanted Tiki Room.
Learn more about the Walt Disney World Parks including attractions, secrets, tips and more. Plus my friends at Destinations in Florida can help you plan your perfect Walt Disney World vacation.