The Haunted Mansion in Magic Kingdom is a dark ride through a old, abandoned estate haunted by 999 happy haunts. Your Doom Buggy will carry you through 15 rooms as your ghostly tour guide points out the haunts along the way. And at the end of your tour, 3 happy haunts might just hitch a ride with you for a way out of the mansion. Little ones beware, this ride is dark and somewhat scary for the youngest members of your party. My kids were finally brave enough to ride this attraction when they were over the age of 6.
Length of Ride: 7:30
Height Requirement: None
Scare Factor: Very scary for small children. This is a dark ride that is haunted. My kids were scared until they were about 6.
Rider Switch (for small kids): No.
Weather Procedure: Located indoors
Ride Photo: No
Flash Photography: Forbidden.
Queue: It winds through a graveyard. Be sure to read the names on the tombstones.
Extra Magic Hours: Open for the Evening Magic Hours
Fastpass: Part of Fastpass+
When to Ride: Before lunch or after dinner.
Our Touring Strategy: We usually ride this around 10-10:30 in the morning.
Secrets/Tips and Tricks:
- Check out the top of Haunted Mansion, they resemble chess pieces.
- At night, look at the top story window above the entrance. After a while, you might just notice a shadow pass that resembles 2 people with lanterns.
- The organ music you hear in the stretching room is actually Grim Grinning Ghosts slowed way down. It is the only song you hear in the entire ride and it gets faster as the ride progresses.
- Stand near the painting of the lady with the parasol (this is actually Master Gracey’s first wife who was lured to her death by Madame Leota to be the first ones out of the room.
- Or you can wait for everyone to exit and then you’ll hear someone whisper at you to get out.
- In the attic of Haunted Mansion, all of the paintings are of Constance, the very bride you see at the end of the trip through the attic. Each painting shows her marrying up and is displayed with more lavish wedding gifts. Notice she is in the same dress in every picture.
- Look for a Hidden Mickey on the dining room table.
- Look for the Hidden Donald on the back of red velvet chairs in the hallway.
- When your hearse tips backwards, you are actually falling out of the attic window and you die. You’ll notice the ghosts don’t acknowledge your presence until this happens.
- The piano player in the Music Room is invisible but you can see his moving shadow on the floor.
- There is a Hidden Tinker Bell in a pane of broken glass over a coffin.
- Look for Mr Toad in the graveyard near the exit.
- Look for the hearse that is being drawn by an invisible horse. Notice his hoof prints located on the ground. This horse is named “Old Glue” or Elmer”. The hearse is the same one used in John Wayne’s movie The Sons of Katie Elder.
- If you listen for a moment, you might just hear the ghost horse whiny.
- Ride at night when your eyes are naturally dilated more. You’ll see more details than you will notice during the day.
Check out the tips and secrets for Hall of Presidents.