Part of the fun of a Disney World vacation is revisiting old favorites. This includes beloved attractions! Luckily, many original attractions at Disney World have been with us since opening day of their park! In fact, more than 25 attractions make the list of opening day attractions that still exist.
Do note, at the time of this writing not all attractions are in operation as Disney World continues its phased reopening.
Now read, 25+ Opening Day Disney World Attractions That Still Exist!
Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World opened for guests on October 1, 1971. There are a number of opening day attractions that guests can still enjoy today and the most original attractions still standing at a Disney World park. Read through the list of opening day attractions still in operation, below.
1. Country Bear Jamboree is found in Adventureland and has been entertaining guests since the parks opening. This attraction celebrates America’s country-western heritage as told by 18 country bears. Get ready to laugh and clap along at this country Hoedown.
2. Dumbo, has earned the right as a classic attraction, found in Fantasyland. However, when the park opened there was one Dumbo ride, this attraction is so popular that Disney World now has two Dumbo rides. Plus, an indoor (air-conditioned) interactive area for children to play and adults to cool down while they wait.
3. Guests have been aiming at targets at the Frontierland Shootin’ Arcade found in Fronteirland since October 1, 1971. For under $1.00 guests can take their aim at over 90 targets, the rifles have special infra-red lights to hit the targets.
4. The Jungle Cruise is a scenic boat tour found in Adventureland. Your adventure will take you on rivers from Asia, Africa and South America. A cast member will commentate your adventure on this entertaining attraction.
5. Guests have been spinning on the Mad Tea Party tea cups since 1971. The classic ride, Mad Tea Party, is located in Fantasyland.
6. This classic almost always has a line and a wait. Take flight over Neverland and more favorite scenes from Disney’s Peter Pan on Peter Pan’s Flight, on your own Pirate Ship.
7. Prince Charming Regal Carrousel is found in Fantasyland, ride this beautiful Carrousel where no 2 horses are alike.
8. Guests have been climbing the 116 stairs that make up the attraction, Swiss Family Treehouse since Magic Kingdom’s opening. Tour the Robinson’s home as you climb higher (up to 6 stories at peak) with photo-worthy views of Adventureland.
9. When The Hall of Presidents opened with the park in Liberty Square, Richard Nixon was the president at the time in 1971. The attraction had 36 presidents when it opened. Today, there are 44 Presidents.
10. The Haunted Mansion has been standing in Liberty Square since its opening. Take a ride through haunted rooms and more.
11. Race through Tomorrowland Speedway in Tomorrowland in Magic Kingdom, as guests have since the beginning. Guests 32″ and taller may ride.
12. Walt Disney himself loved trains so its no surprise that a Walt Disney World Railroad surrounds the Magic Kingdom park. Guests have been enjoying the train since day one. Other stops include Fantasyland & Frontierland.
13. Watch an enchanted show, where birds, flowers and Tiki Gods come to life, at Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room. This attraction is found in Adventureland.
14. This slow moving boat ride, located in Fantasyland takes guests on a tour of children singing from around the globe. Guests have been singing “it’s a small world…” since Magic Kingdom’s opening day.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 (Earth Day) and is a park full of nature and wonder. Now read these attractions that opened with the park which guests can still enjoy today.
15. The Affection Section at Rafiki’s Planet Watch opened with Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Guests may still enjoy this open petting area with goats, sheep and more. Any age may enjoy.
16. Another classic also found at Rafiki’s Planet Watch is the Conservation Station. Look at animal habitats, interactive exhibits and more in this fun & educational center.
17. Travel back in time, when the dinosaurs still roamed on DINOSAUR in DinoLand USA. Guests must be 40″ or taller to ride. This attraction contains an on-ride photo.
18. The beloved Festival of the Lion King has been gracing the stage since park opening in Africa. Watch a Broadway style show starring your favorite Disney’s Lion King characters in this lively retelling.
19. Guests of all ages can walk the same paths as those guests did earth Day 1998 on the Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail. See hippos, gorillas and exotic birds.
20. While at Rafiki’s Planet Watch explore Habitat Habit!, an exhibit opened since day one. See cotton-top tamarin monkeys and learn about conservation.
21. It’s Tough to Be a Bug is a 3D show with surprise guests, located in the parks icon – Tree of Life. Guests have the chance to become Honorary Bugs with up close views of the Tree of Life.
22. Guests have the chance to explore a recreated African Safari while on Kilimanjaro Safaris. When the attraction opened with the park, it contained a story about Poachers and Big Red/Little Red. This story line was discontinued in 2012 for a more educational message about conservation.
23. The Boneyard is the ultimate playground at Walt Disney World. For explorers age 10 and under the space includes: a dinosaur dig site, multi-level maze with covered slides, a Jeep to climb in, a shaded seating area with fans for the adults and more. Spend some time letting your little ones explore this opening day attraction.
Want to visit the same attractions guests visited on opening day at Epcot? There are 4 attractions currently still open at Disney’s Epcot that opened with the park on October 1, 1982.
24. Spaceship Earth is the ride located within the parks icon, “the ball”, guests see before and upon entering the park.
25. Find the ride, Living with the Land, in the Land Pavilion. This slow moving boat ride takes guests on a back stage tour the greenhouses of where they grow food for 2 Epcot restaurants and more. This is a relaxing and educational attraction great for anyone.
26. Impressions de France is an 18-minute film that has been in the France Pavilion since opening day. Watch in the Palais du Cinéma with a 200-degree widescreen view and see the beauty of France.
27. The American Adventure is a 30-minute show featuring Audio-Animatronics to retell some of America’s history. Found in the American Adventure Pavilion at Epcot, since the parks opening.
When Hollywood Studios opened on May 1, 1989 it had The Great Movie Ride and the Studio Backlot Tour as attractions for guests. Unfortunately, both of these attractions have since closed. However, we do have 2 vintage attractions from opening year still available to add to this list!
Opening Year Attractions at Hollywood Studios include Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! which opened on August 25, 1989 and Star Tours (opened as Star Tours: The Adventures Continue) on December 15, 1989.
Also Read: 7 Confirmed Updates Coming To Disney World 2021
Learn more about the Walt Disney World Parks including attractions, secrets, tips and more. Plus my friends at Destinations in Florida can help you plan your perfect Walt Disney World vacation.