Admit it. You read that title and immediately thought it was a joke. Coronado Springs Resort has been called many things, but not often is it named the best Disney Resort.
But I am dead serious when I say that Coronado Springs is my family’s favorite and our bet for best Disney resort. Don’t believe me? Let’s take a look at what makes Coronado Springs such a standout resort.
5. The décor. Coronado Springs Resort is done in beautiful Southwestern style with understated, but attractive theming. The resort is comprised of three sections: Casitas, Cabanas, and Ranchos, all surrounding the lagoon. People take Coronado to task for its subtle theming, and certainly the rooms are simple, even if they are well done. But I think that’s part of Coronado’s charm. You’ve spent all day eating Mickey shaped food and hanging out with Princesses. It can be nice to relax and decompress in a neutral space.
4. The conventioneers. You’ve heard that Coronado is a convention hotel. This is true. Depending on what time of year you vacation, you will see crowds of business attired folks with name tags. And I say, GREAT. Bring on the conventioneers. Why, you ask? Because the more stuff for me! Think about it. They’re in meetings all day, so they’re not riding the buses or using the pools. It’s not uncommon for many meetings to have their food catered, which means the restaurants don’t get too packed. If you’re spending all day at the parks or the pool, you really aren’t getting too much face time with the conventioneers, no matter how many of them there are. They are the best resort-mates you could ask for. These folks are here to work, which gives my family more room to play!
3. Amenities. Did you know that Coronado Springs has a spa? What about a salon? It’s true! In addition to breaking a sweat at the fitness center, you can get a massage at the spa and then get your do done next door at the salon! Coronado also features in room dining from 7am-11am, and 4pm-11pm. These are Deluxe level amenities and Coronado is the only moderate resort to have them.
2. The Dig Site. Coronado Springs has four pools: three area “quiet” pools, and the Dig Site. Ya’ll, the Dig Site is awesome. It features the Lost City of Cibola pool, which comes complete with a 50 foot pyramid and a 123 foot waterslide that features a spitting jaguar. Where else on site are you going to find a spitting jaguar?? For the less adventurous, there is a great kiddie pool. Also featured? The largest hot tub on Disney property. Not in the mood to get wet? Check out the adjoining Explorer’s Playground. It’s got all the playground regulars like swings and sandpits, plus cool Mayan themed tunnels and slides. Or grab a bite at Siestas Pool Bar. Or hang out at the arcade. The points Coronado may lose for soft theming it more than makes up for with the Deluxe level pool.
1. The price. Rack rates for Coronado Springs Resort vary from $180-$300 a night, but eligible promotions can bring the price down so that it is often significantly lower than the other moderates. Coronado is always included in room promotions, partially because they have so many rooms to fill. And its reputation as a convention hotel works well in your favor, because it’s less in demand than similarly spread out Caribbean Beach Resort or Port Orleans-Riverside and that is often reflected in the pricing.
Bonus tip! Coronado Springs has dedicated buses, but there are four stops. Don’t freak out about those four stops. All the bus stops are all shaded with lovely benches for waiting, eating your breakfast before the rope drop rush, whatever you like to do before the buses come. The general rule of thumb is a bus comes every 20 minutes, but in my experience the morning buses feel more frequent than that. The irony is that the farther you are from the front desk and restaurants, the better the bus stop. The last pickup is always the stop closet to the main building. If you’re in a Standard room, request to be near transportation and you’ve got it made in the shade.
We always look at other resorts, but Coronado keeps calling us back. It’s my husband’s absolute favorite and he goes to the mat for it every time. I don’t put up too much of a fight because I love it too! When all is said and done, I feel like Coronado Springs gives you a Deluxe level experience for prices just above Value resorts.
Every family is different and has their own idea about what makes a perfect vacation. If you have any questions about planning a Disney vacation or which resort might be best for you, get in touch with the official Couponing to Disney Travel Specialist Kari O’Dell. She’s happy to answer all your questions and get you connected with the magic!
Have you been to Coronado Springs Resort? Do you love it just as much as I do, or is it not for you? Tell me all your thoughts in the comments!
Kristen B. is wife to the best Prince around, mama to the spunkiest little princesses, and lover of all things Disney. She started her savings journey three years ago and is now dedicated to making her family’s wishes come true one coupon at a time. She is so excited to take her love of saving to the next level and share her journey with you! Click here to catch up on Kristen’s Savings and join in on your own savings adventure!